Sunday, August 11, 2013

Good Night Mr. Freshëns, Wherever You Are

GOODNIGHT MR. FRESHËNS, WHEREVER YOU ARE. 8:17 PM, 8/9/13, Atlanta International Airport. After finishing a meal of chili con carne and grilled cheese I decided to walk toqards my gate A33 to catch the 9:46 PM Delta flight to Hartford. Near gate A27 there is this small yogurt shop and thinking of a small yogurt treat I stopped to look at the wall menu. Next to me a man also stopped to look at the menu. He looked at me and said "It's only $3.49 a cup" and I answered "Yes, and only 70 calories". He webt to the counter, took his Visa card and asked for a cup of vanilla yogurt with oreo and M&M's toppings. I got in line behind me and took out a $5.00 bill. "Are you getting a cup?" He asked me. "Yes, I'll get one" He was blond, about 30 years old, 6"0', blue eyes, light blue jeans, beige Polo shirt, blue Converse tennis shoes, and a burgundy backpack. "Go ahead, order and I'll pay for it" "Thanks, but that's not necessary" I said timidly showing him my $5 dollar bill. He smiled "I insist"... I asked the attendant for a cup of yogurt with oreo cookies feeling guilty for the extra calories. Not knowing what else to say I inquired "where are you heading?" I just arrived from Charlotte, North Carolina and I am heading to see my family in Pennsylvania...Harrisburg, and you?" As the attendant handed me my yogurt I replied "Heading to Hartford from Honduras...went to visit family and friends" He smiled "that's a long trip". Picking up my carry-on I said "Thanks a lot for the treat" "My pleasure. Have a nice trip and a good night". "Same to you" I said as I headed to my gate holding the cup of yogurt in my hand. After about 60 steps (I counted them) I looked by and saw him standing there waving goodbye by the yogurt stand. I waved back and never looked back. So now I am here, waiting for my flight by gate A33 enjoying my yogurt which has started to melt. I started thinking of Jimmy Durante and his "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are" quote. I got up and looked back at gate A27; he is no longer there. People like that man make this country unique and special: strangers making an ephemeral but unforgettable connection. I know I will never forget him like Durante never forgot Mrs. Calabash. Perhaps I will drive to Harrisburg many times and one day I will see him and thank him for this memory. In the meantime, Goodnight and good travels Mr. Freshëns, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment